Truth Pharm is calling on Governor Cuomo to revise his proposed regulations to include all provisions written in the HALT Solitary Confinement Act, S. 1623 / A.2500 or to get it passed and sign it into law to end the torture of prolonged solitary confinement in New York State.
Solitary Confinement is considered to be a form of psychological torture, with measureable long-term physical affects, especially when used for a period of over two weeks, or indefinitely.
In fact, the United Nations has gone so far as to ban the practice for use for periods of longer than 15 days. New York State should be no different, and more than that, they should be leading the way in alternative forms of behavior modification.
There are scores of other options available, from revocation of privileges, extra duty, to extension of sentences. Segregation is nothing more than an inhumane practice, used primarily to make things easier for those who work in our jails and prisons. Certainly not for those forced to live in them.
And we know this because another thing being left out of your proposed regulations is mandatory transparency and independent oversight. It begs the question: What’s being hidden here?
The HALT Solitary Confinement Act calls for rectifying that detail as well.
The regulations should adopt all of the provisions of the HALT Solitary Confinement Act, including:
- Ban all forms of solitary beyond 15 days for all people and prevent cycling in and out of solitary
- Ban all solitary for people most harmed by solitary (including young people and people with mental health needs)
- Require real program-based alternatives that are more humane and effective, with meaningful out-of-cell human contact and programs
- Restrict the criteria that can result in any separation in prisons and jails to the most serious conduct
- Provide greater procedural protections, staff training, mandatory reporting, and independent oversight
Take action and sign on to the letter here! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRQ_tXVtQtbyhiT-mfEa3o7psHqGt693q5ZtR7HNm2FzyY6w/viewform